Boomerific

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Yummerific

One of our local Thai restaurants serves a wonderful, comforting dish called Winter Curry. It consists of squash, potatoes, cabbage, and other veggies in a scruptuous curried coconut milk. Last night I decided to take a crack at it. It turned out really well and I wanted to share it with you. It takes 30 minutes tops and is one of the best comfort dishes I've come up with.

Sster's Winter Curry

Prepare: 2 cups, or 1/4 head cabbage, chopped
1 potato, cubed into 1 inch pieces (unpeeled for nutrition)
1 cup peeled and cubed butternut squash
Handful of peeled and halved pearl onions

Put the rice on to cook. I use basmati, which should take about 20 minutes. Zerolio taught me to soak it 30 minutes before cooking to get rid of excess starch, but I am lazy and almost never do it.

In a big pot: All the veggies
1 large can (16 oz?) coconut milk
3/4 can water
1 large dollop of curry paste to taste. Last night I added another dollop at the end.
1 tsp. salt or more to taste

Heat to boiling, then cover and lower to simmer. In 20-25 minutes, when you can stick a fork through the veggies, it's all done! Serve over the rice. I find this amount prepares more than 1 cup of uncooked rice can handle, so either make a little more rice or put leftovers in the fridge.

***

We make dinners with coconut milk about once a week around here. My standard favorite procedure is to take whatever veggies we have on hand, sautee them for a few minutes, then simmer them in coconut milk. I add water if I have starchy veggies, but if not I like the thickness of the milk by itself. My favorite veggie combo has to be broccoli and baby portabellas. I usually put in a tablespoon or so of soy sauce and a dollop of curry paste. It's perfect and takes no time at all to prepare--just as long as the basmati rice takes. I have also served it over rice noodles. So healthy (the coconut milk is fatty, but in moderation it's a good fat) and so delicious! I encourage you to try it.

***

The other thing we're working on at Boomerific is getting rid of refined sugars. When I was in high school we had a family friend who was a chemist formerly employed at the FDA. He told us that refined sugar should never have been approved, that it should not even be considered a food. It's associated with a host of health problems, including diabetes and cancer. I don't know that I buy some of the more fringe arguments about sugar, but I do know that I could do without the mood swings and definitely without the extra pounds.

So this morning I made myself a little apple tart with whole wheat flour and honey instead of sugar with the apples. It was delicious! If anyone knows of a cookbook with sugar-free (no substitutes! I don't like those either) recipes, particularly baked goods, please let me know.

Hope you're eating well.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:36 AM, Anonymous mamamarta said…

    hey, i'm with you on the refined suguars (on the curry too, that sounds delish, gonna try it as soon as i get some curry paste and coconut milk!). i've actually been meaning to do some research, although i don't really need anyone to tell me that this stuff is baaaaddddd for my family. especially my 2.5yo son, who is like a total sugar junkie. it affects him so much in terms of his mood and behavior, and he's just like an addict. our attempts at moderation are not working very well, and we're talking about really embracing becoming a refined-sugar-free-zone. it just seems like such a huge commitment.... and do we really mean NO MORE ice cream? NO MORE carrot cake from the frog commisary cook book? NO MORE chocolate? anyway, i'd love any leads on research on sugar that is not wacky conspiracy-theoryesque, as well as any recipe leads you get (i don't like the sugar substitutes either).

    marta

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger M. said…

    You are speaking my language, my friend. My beloved has been on a wheat-free, sugar-free diet since May and I have had to get all kinds of creative in the kitchen. For one, you can use honey as a sweetener in practically anything baked and never miss the sugar. And stevia - though technically it's a sugar substitute - is an unrefined, plant-derived sweetener that you can get in the crunchy grocery stores (or the part of the regular grocery store with the wood floor).

    Here's one of my favorite sugar-free desserts: freeze a handful (3-4) perfectly ripe bananas. Break them into big chunks and throw them into the blender with about 3/4 of a cup of almond milk, a teaspoon of vanilla, and some nutmeg and cinnamon. Add a little more almond milk if you want it thinner, but go slowly or you'll have almond banana soup. Voila! Sugar free "ice cream!"

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger sster said…

    Oh, man. That sounds AMAZING. I'm off to the co-op! Makes me drool just reading it. Attic Man loves bananas, too, so this one should be a winner.

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Shirky said…

    why doesn't honey count as sugar?

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger sster said…

    It doesn't count as refined, processed sugar. The refining process uses lots of chemicals and destroys virtually all nutrients, including many B vitamins.

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger LilySea said…

    Yum, curry recipe! Cole would love that, I'll have to put coconut milk on the list.

    I have been minimizing all sugar for a while, but especially refined sugar. In some ways, sugar is sugar and I try to keep it out of Nat's diet as much as possible. I haven't even given her any juice yet. I'm waiting until she's old enough for orange juice, which actually has some nutritional value and not just sugar...

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger Shirky said…

    first you get the sugar
    then you get the power
    then you get the women

    mmmmmmm
    suuuugaaar

     
  • At 2:22 AM, Blogger Anne Marie said…

    I am having a big potluck this weekend, and I wasn't planning on cooking since I am the hostess...but this recipe changed my mind. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home